Thursday, January 10, 2008

perfection

I have not done a lot of posting on our blog, mainly because I do not have the patience to type an entry on our cell phone. I am in Pretoria right now for some medical tests and I am able to use the computer at the Peace Corps office. I thought I would share one of the most important lessons that I have learned thus far in our Peace Corps experience.

I think one of the biggest lessons that I have learned from my time in the Peace Corps is to let loose the reins of perfection.
For much of my life I have had a drive/a need to be perfect. I felt inadequate if I was not exactly what or who the receiver wanted. Since perfection has no finish line, I never had to sit with the other person's (or my own) disapointment because I could hop right up and say "oh, wait! You thought I was finished. Don't worry, I am not even tired yet." I was always trying to be what others wanted me to be, all the while denying my true interests and talents.

But sometimes the beauty of being a person is to sit down with out make up in mis-matched pajamas and say "here I am," to which the other says "well you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen." For once in my life I am not discounting the statement of appreciation, but actually allowing to let words surround me like the rain, blanket and blackberry tea.

Love to you all!
~Jennie

No comments: